The Symbolic Thinking area of our brain allows teenagers to develop and maintain plans and strategies through the use of language. If there is a problme in this area they will struggle to identify and prioritise important information. A weakness in this cognitive area will affect their ability to read well, write well, do maths and science and speak fluently. They may be diagnosed as having dyslexia, poor executive functioning or other learning problem.
Does your teenager have trouble:
- identifying the theme of a story
- identifying the meaning of words from the context
- focusing their attention in language based tasks
- prioritising information in the order of its importance
- maintaining attention - they might get labelled as having a short attention span
- making their own decisions and might appear passive
- planning activities
- starting a task
- being organised
- understanding what other people are talking about, and/or
- understanding what they are reading?
How does the Arrowsmith Program help Perth teenagers become more organised?
Doing this exercise will:
- enable your teenager to improve their ability to grasp the main point of written or spoken material
- enable your teenager to identify the main point in written and spoken material
- develop your teenager's capacity to express ideas more clearly
- develop your teenager's capacity to make decisions and be self directed,
- strengthen your teenager's capacity to have initiative
- enable your teenager to remain focused on tasks until completion.
If Symbolic Thinking is a problem for your teenager or a teenager you know:
for a no obligations chat about how the Arrowsmith Program can treat disorganisation in teenagers in Perth